Python with Eclipse

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 17:07:01 EDT 2006

PyDev Eclipse keeps around the python interpreter unless it gets
removed.  I think part of the point is to keep around failed runs so
the user can investigate the stack.  Eclipse doesn't keep this around
if you Run you script, but it will keep the interpreter alive if you
Debug your script, regardless of how it exits.  (It may dispose of the
interpreter if your program exits with a normal error code.)

Anyway, in the Debug View, you can see a list of all the python
interpreters that PyDev and Eclipse are keeping alive.  There's a set
of debugging-related buttons just above: step into, step over, step
return, continue, and others.

One of the buttons there looks like a couple of "X" symbols.  This
button officially shuts down a python interpreter.  (Be careful and
don't actually click the "X" symbol that closes the debug area!)

  --Jason