Are there something like "Effective Python"?

Mike Meng meng.yan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 01:01:08 EDT 2006

Hi all,
     I just finished reading Learning Python 3rd ed, and am doing my
first Python application, which   retrieves and process text and XML
documents from Web. Python helped me to write the application in a few
hours, I'm very happy with its productivity. But the performance is not
satisfactory. I decide to optimized it in Python before trying C/C++
extensions. But I don't know Python much and have no clu to tune my
program. Also, I don't know what Pythonist's preferred styles. Are
there any books/documents which play the similar role for Python as
'Effective C++' does for C++?

    For example, one of my friends read my program and suggest me to
move the re.compile() out of a for-loop, since the regular pattern is
fixed, and re.compile() is slow. I want to find more such advice, where
can I find them?

    Thank you.

Mike