better Python IDE? Mimics Maya's script editor?

Russell Warren russandheather at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:11:36 EDT 2006

Check out the Wing IDE - www.wingware.com .

As part of it's general greatness it has a "debug probe" which lets you
execute code snippets on active data in mid-debug execution.

It doesn't have precisely what you are after... you can't (yet)
highlight code segments and say "run this, please", but I think it
might almost have what you want for general workflow improvement.

The main drawback is that it is a commercial product, albeit "cheap".
The extra drawback is that the debug probe feature requires the
professional version which is "less cheap", but still < $200.  Well
worth it for professional development IMO.

They have a great demo policy... you should check it out.  I tried
several different IDEs (I've become accustomed to using IDEs over
supe'd up text editors) and Wing was/is my favorite.