Simple question regarding module initialization

Troy Melhase troy.melhase at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 21:53:34 EDT 2006

$ ipython

in [1]: __import__?
Type:           builtin_function_or_method
Base Class:     <type 'builtin_function_or_method'>
String Form:    <built-in function __import__>
Namespace:      Python builtin
Docstring:
    __import__(name, globals, locals, fromlist) -> module

    Import a module.  The globals are only used to determine the context;
    they are not modified.  The locals are currently unused.  The fromlist
    should be a list of names to emulate ``from name import ...'', or an
    empty list to emulate ``import name''.
    When importing a module from a package, note that __import__('A.B', ...)
    returns package A when fromlist is empty, but its submodule B when
    fromlist is not empty.