Python Help

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Jun 14 12:34:28 EDT 2006

> I have recently downloaded Python 2.4.3 on Windows XP. The
> program does not recongnize when I type in python:" name
> 'python' is not defined". Please tell me how to correct this.

Sounds like you don't have it in your path.

In XP, use Win+Break to pull up your system properties (the same
as right-clicking on "My Computer" and chosing "Properties").  On
the "Advanced" tab, press the "Environment Variables" button.

If you want the change to be just for your user, add a new
variable under the top section, named "PATH", with a value of
"%PATH%;c:\Program Files\Python24" (or wherever the path to
python.exe resides).  If a PATH variable already exists, you can
just edit it, appending a semicolon followed by the path to the
directory containing python.exe

If you want to make python accessible for all users on the
machine, you can do the same sort of process in the bottom pane
of that window.

Restart your command-shell and you should be good to go.  Or, if
you've got stuff in your command shell you don't want to lose,
you can just use

	c:\> path %PATH%;c:\Progra~1\Python24\

which will set the path for that particular command window, but
this change will be forgotten when you close the window.

-tkc