Beginner Programmer Question

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Mon Jun 26 14:09:20 EDT 2006

kydavis77 at gmail.com wrote:

>>Claudio Grondi wrote:

>>>Isn't it your homework?
>>>Why can't you figure it out?
>>>What have you tried?
>>>
>>>Claudio
>>
>>I am doing alot of reading, and the problem didnt come with an answer.
>>I dont understand how to get it to continually input numbers and add
>>all those together
>

> #Add up to 100 program
>
> #What number are you adding up to?
> bigone = 100
>
> number = input("Whats the first number?")
> number2 = input ("Whats the second number?")
> nu3 = number+number2
> while nu3 < bigone:
  # you are missing the input and building the sum here:
    number3 = input ("Whats the next number?")
    nu3 = nu3 + number3
>     print ("Not there yet, next number please")
  # so nu3 gets never changed and your loop runs forever.

> print "Finally there!"
>
> thats what i thought maybe it was...but after the first two numbers it
> just continually scrolls on the screen with finally there
Yes, because you have no input command in the loop and no sum changing
the value of nu3.
But you should get scrolling with "Not there yet, next number please"
not with "Finally there!" according to your code.

I suppose your next question will be what tutorial is the best for a
newbie, so I suggest you start with:
   http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

Claudio