Ketil Malde ketil+news at ii.uib.no
Tue Jun 20 09:16:32 EDT 2006

Andreas Rossberg <rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de> writes:

>> "A language is latently typed if a value has a property - called it's
>> type - attached to it, and given it's type it can only represent values
>> defined by a certain class."

I thought the point was to separate the (bitwise) representation of a
value from its interpretation (which is its type).  In a static
system, the interpretation is derived from context, in a dynamic
system values must carry some form of tags specifying which
interpretation to use.

I think this applies - conceptually, at least - also to expressions?

My impression is that dynamic typers tend to include more general
properties in their concept of types (div by zero, srqt of negatives,
etc).

-k