numeric/numpy/numarray

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Wed Jun 14 10:59:05 EDT 2006

Bryan <belred at gmail.com> wrote:
> so, was Numarray written *before* NumPY, or was it a reimplementation of
> NumPy which implies it came *after* NumPy?  it seems clear that Numeric is
> the old one and i read is not being worked on anymore.  so that leaves
> Numarray and numpy. which of these two should i use?

I'll voice a heretic thought: me, I'm sticking with good old Numeric
until the situation with the newer packages settles down.  Yes, Numeric
is not being developed any more, but to me that also means it won't
"change under me" and break something... and, it serves my personal
computational needs until something equally stable finally arrives.  (Of
course, if and when I hit some bug in Numeric that will never be solved,
or need some other add-on package which in turn demands a different
numeric-array-computation underpinning, I'll have to change, but, so
far, I have not found myself in either of these situations).

Alex