python for windows internet filter / firewall

Michele Petrazzo michele.petrazzo at TOGLIunipex.it
Fri Jun 30 03:49:52 EDT 2006

thorley at gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm interested in a simple content-based internet firewall/filter,
> similar to dansguardian (http://dansguardian.org/),

Firewall and filter are two things totally separated!

- If you want to do something like a "page filtering", like dansguard
   and squidguard, you can simple do it with python, because you have to
   act like a proxy that leave of not visit a page.
- If you have to do a firewall... I think you can't, especially if you
   are on win. Take a look at wipfw (wipfw.sf.net) that do what you want

> but written in python,

Of course :)

and for windows.

Why? All that work with networking (and not only that) work better with
*nix OS!

> I assumed such a project would already exist,

Firewall I don't think, and the same for the filtering (I know only
something like a plugin for squid, so for *nix platform).

> but my searches on freshmeat, and google turned up empty. I would be
> interested in starting my own project if necessary, so I have two
> questions:
>
> 1) Does any one no of such a project?
>
> 2) Is this even reasonable in python and how might I get started?
> (e.g. win32 COM?)

win32COM for do what?

You can do it in not so difficult manner:
Take twisted and its proxy class, make some outline code (for filter the
pages) and enjoy! (work also on win)

> Thanks much -- matthew

P.s. Don't forgot to share your code, when it'll work :)

Bye,
Michele