a good programming text editor (not IDE)

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Jun 15 13:49:47 EDT 2006

I recommend Vim.

> I'm looking for suggestions for a good cross-platform text
> editor

Check.

> (which the features for coding, such as syntax
> highlighting, etc.)

Check.

> but not a full IDE with all the fancy jazz
> (GUI developer, UML diagrams, etc.).

Check.

> Ideally, it would be something I could even put on a flash
> drive and move from computer to computer, but this isn't
> necessary.

Check
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A//blog.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/day%3D20050923

> I do it doesn't seem to remember the window size and position,

in your gvimrc, use

	set lines=50 columns=80
	winpos 300 0

> or any options I choose (like showing line numbers).

to enable line numbering
	:set number
to disable line numbering
	:set nonumber
to gottle line numbering
	:set number!

> It seems to always reset itself each time I open it.

Options can be saved in your vimrc/gvimrc file to preserve
settings.  Additionally, the viminfo file can be used to preserve
registers, etc across editing sessions.  On top of that, you can
use the ":mksession" command to take a snapshot of a session with
all its window positionings, manual folds, etc.

> And naturally there are Emacs and Vim,
> but I just don't know if I need to invest
 > *that* much time into learning one of them
> (probably Vim, since I hear it's lighter and faster).

Excellent idea... :)  I invested a bit of time up front to learn
vim, but it was well worth every moment I spent on it.  I'll be
the first to admit that it has a learning curve like a brick
wall.  But once you get the basics and force yourself to use it
until you get comfortable with it, it pays massive dividends.

> to free,

Check.

> open-source

Check.

> cross-platform

Check.

In addition, it has folding, both console versions and GUI
versions, and a host of plugins for making various files easier
to edit.  Oh, and a rather helpful mailing list!

Just some answers to your questions...

-tkc