Passing data to system command

Chris Hieronymus christoph.hieronymus at geo.uu.se
Sun Jun 18 14:55:58 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have a bunch of x-y data contained in an array.  I would like to
plot the data using an
external program (psxy in GMT).  The plotting program takes x-y
couples as standard
input.  How do I get the data into the system call?  I used to do
things in csh and awk,
i.e., something like

awk '{<some manipulations here>; print $1, $2}' filename | psxy <some
options> >! output.ps

The reason I'm trying to use python is because the manipulations are
getting too cumbersome
in awk.  Now I have all the manipulations done in python, but I'm
missing that last step.

I've tried various things with os.system, popen, and subprocess, but
so far without success.
Does anyone know how to do this?

chris

Christoph