Marshall marshall.spight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:12:11 EDT 2006

David Hopwood wrote:

> Oh, but it *does* make sense to talk about dynamic tagging in a statically
> typed language.
>
> That's part of what makes the term "dynamically typed" harmful: it implies
> a dichotomy between "dynamically typed" and "statically typed" languages,
> when in fact dynamic tagging and static typing are (mostly) independent
> features.

That's really coming home to me in this thread: the terminology is *so*
bad. I have noticed this previously in the differences between
structural
and nominal typing; many typing issues associated with this distinction
are falsely labeled as a static-vs-dynamic issues, since so many
statically
type languages are nominally typed.

We need entirely new, finer grained terminology.

Marshall