Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Mon Jun 19 11:20:20 EDT 2006

Torben Ægidius Mogensen <torbenm at app-3.diku.dk> wrote:
> That's not really the difference between static and dynamic typing.
> Static typing means that there exist a typing at compile-time that
> guarantess against run-time type violations.  Dynamic typing means
> that such violations are detected at run-time.  This is orthogonal to
> strong versus weak typing, which is about whether such violations are
> detected at all.  The archetypal weakly typed language is machine code
> -- you can happily load a floating point value from memory, add it to
> a string pointer and jump to the resulting value.  ML and Scheme are
> both strongly typed, but one is statically typed and the other
> dynamically typed.

Knowing that it'll cause a lot of strenuous objection, I'll nevertheless
interject my plea not to abuse the word "type" with a phrase like
"dynamically typed".  If anyone considers "untyped" to be perjorative,
as some people apparently do, then I'll note that another common term is
"type-free," which is marketing-approved but doesn't carry the
misleading connotations of "dynamically typed."  We are quickly losing
any rational meaning whatsoever to the word "type," and that's quite a
shame.

By way of extending the point, let me mention that there is no such
thing as a universal class of things that are called "run-time type
violations".  At runtime, there is merely correct code and incorrect
code.  To the extent that anything is called a "type" at runtime, this
is a different usage of the word from the usage by which we may define
languages as being statically typed (which means just "typed").  In
typed OO languages, this runtime usage is often called the "class", for
example, to distinguish it from type.

This cleaner terminology eliminates a lot of confusion.  For example, it
clarifies that there is no binary division between strongly typed
languages and weakly typed languages, since the division between a "type
error" and any other kind of error is arbitrary, depending only on
whether the type system in a particular language happens to catch that
error.  For example, type systems have been defined to try to catch unit
errors in scientific programming, or to catch out-of-bounds array
indices... yet these are not commonly called "type errors" only because
such systems are not in common use.

This also leads us to define something like "language safety" to
encapsulate what we previously would have meant by the phrase "strongly
dynamically typed language".  This also is a more general concept than
we had before.  Language safety refers to a language having well-defined
behavior for as many operations as feasible, so that it's less likely
that someone will do something spectacularly bad.  Language safety may
be achieved either by a type system or by runtime checks.  Again, it's
not absolute... I'm aware of no language that is completely determinate,
at least if it supports any kind of concurrency.

This isn't just a matter of preference in terminology.  The definitions
above (which are, in my experience, used widely by most non-academic
language design discussions) actually limit our understanding of
language design by pretending that certain delicate trade-offs such as
the extent of the type system, or which language behavior is allowed to
be non-deterministic or undefined, are etched in stone.  This is simply
not so.  If types DON'T mean a compile-time method for proving the
absence of certain program behaviors, then they don't mean anything at
all.  Pretending that there's a distinction at runtime between "type
errors" and "other errors" serves only to confuse things and
artificially limit which problems we are willing to concieve as being
solvable by types.

> Anyway, type inference for statically typed langauges don't make them
> any more dynamically typed.

Indeed it does not.  Unless it weakens the ability of a compiler to
prove the absence of certain program behaviors (which type inference
does not), it doesn't move anything on the scale toward a type-free
language.

That being said, though, it is considered a feature of some programming
languages that the programmer is asked to repeat type information in a
few places.  The compiler may not need the information, but for
precisely the reason that the information is redundant, the compiler is
then able to check the consistency of the programmer in applying the
type.  I won't get into precisely how useful this is, but it is
nevertheless present as an advantage to outweigh the wordiness.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation