An oddity in list comparison and element assignment

michael.f.ellis at gmail.com michael.f.ellis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:40:42 EDT 2006

Perhaps a little background to my original post will defuse some of the
controversy.  While working during an airline flight, I ran into an
unexpected outcome from using the * replication operator to initialize
an array of lists.  When I modified a single element of the array an
entire column changed.  Having no reference books or internet access
available, I tried to understand what was going on by creating some
small arrays on the command line to see if there was a difference
between explicit initialization and initialization with range() and the
* operator.

The arrays looked identical when printed and a == b returned True. Yet
the arrays were clearly not equivalent because mutating the
corresponding elements produced different outcomes.  I put the problem
aside until the next day when I looked at it some more and and created
the example script I posted.  Just as I was about to hit the Send
button, I realized that the * operator must have been creating
references instead of copies.  And then I appended the now much debated
opinion that == should have detected the difference.

(As an aside, may I point out that Python In A Nutshell states on page
46 "The result of S*n or n*S is the concatenation of n copies of S". It
might be well to put a warning in a future edition that this is not
strictly the case.)

My viewpoint is that of a working professional software consultant.
I'm essentially a pragmatist with no strong 'religious' views about
languages and methodologies.  As I noted in an earlier reply, I don't
realistically expect Python to change the behavior of the == operator.
I do think that a problem arose when it was adopted from C and extended
to allow comparison of containers.  In C, you can use it to compare
integers, floats, and pointers and everyone understands that p==q does
not imply *p == *q.  Moreover, compilers issue warnings about
comparisons between different types.

Basically, I'm looking for simple diagnostic tools that make it easy to
understand what's really going on when code produces an unexpected
result.  A 'strengthened equivalence' operator, to use your terminology
would have been useful to me.

As to constructing pseudocode for such an operator, I've appended a
working script below.  The counterexamples and questions from Slawomir,
Maric, and Jim were really useful in sharpening my thinking about the
matter.  I'm sure there are many ways to break it.  For example, tuples
have no index method, so one would have to be written. Still, I hope it
will serve to move the discussion beyond terms like 'crazy' and
'handwaving' and 'ill-founded'.  I haven't used such perjoratives in
any of my posts and would appreciate the same courtesy.

Cheers,
Mike

'''
StrongEquality -- a first cut at the definition proposed by M. Ellis.
Author: Michael F. Ellis, Ellis & Grant, Inc.
'''

def indices(item,seq):
   '''Utility function that returns a list of indices where item occurs
in seq'''
   result=[]
   for i in xrange(len(seq)):
       try:
          result.append(i+seq[i:].index(item))
       except ValueError:
          return result

def StrongEquality(a,b):
     '''True if a and b are numerically and "structurally" equal'''
     if a is b: return True
     if a != b: return False
     ## At this point we know a and b have the same length and
     ## evaluate numerically equivalent.  We now need to figure out
     ## whether there are any references to identical objects in
non-corresponding
     ## positions of a & b (per Slawomir's example). We also need to
inspect
     ## a and b for non-matching patterns of identical references (per
my example)
     ida=[] ; idb=[]
     for i in xrange(len(a)):
         if a[i] is b[i]:
             continue
         if isinstance(a[i], (int, float, str)) and isinstance(b[i],
(int, float, str)):
             continue        ## we already know they're numerically
equal

         ida.append(id(a[i]))
         idb.append(id(b[i]))
         ## We know that ida[n] is not idb[n] for all n because we
omitted all
         ## cases where a is b.  Therefore Slawomir's example is
detected if
         ## any id appears in both lists.
         for n in ida:
             if n in idb: return False
         ## Next we test for my example.  I'm sure this can be coded
more
         ## more elegantly ...
         for j in xrange(len(ida)):
              if indices(ida[j],ida) != indices(idb[j],idb): return
False
         ## Lastly, recurse ...
         if not StrongEquality(a[i],b[i]): return False

     return True

if __name__=='__main__':
   ## Rudimentary test cases
   assert StrongEquality(1,1)