Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 21 13:12:40 EDT 2006

Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> Maybe I don't understand what you mean with ADT here, but all languages
> with a decent module system support ADTs in the sense it is usually
> understood, see ML for a primary example.

OK.  Maybe some things like ML and Haskell and such that I'm not
intimately familiar with do, now that you mention it, yes.

> Classes in most OOPLs are essentially beefed-up ADTs as well.

Err, no. There's nothing really abstract about them. And their values
are mutable. So while one can think about them as an ADT, one actually
has to write code to (for example) calculate or keep track of how many
entries are on a stack, if you want that information.

> Not counting C/C++, I don't know when I last worked with a typed
> language that does *not* have this ability... (which is slightly
> different from ADTs, btw)

Java? C#? Icon? Perl? (Hmmm... Pascal does, IIRC.) I guess you just work
with better languages than I do. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     My Bath Fu is strong, as I have