Python 411.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jun 13 12:17:23 EDT 2006

"Brian van den Broek" <broek at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote in message
news:448E8E53.90200 at cc.umanitoba.ca...
> meaning something like information. Introductory university course in
> a field are often numbered 101 (i.e. Computer Science 101). So, that
> number has acquired a slang meaning of basic and introductory
> information.
>
> Where I did my undergrad studies, a few Departments had 001 classes.
> Somehow that felt more honest ;-)

This is OT, but...
Course numbering varies by college/university, but I think typically 1xx,
2xx, 3xx, and 4xx are aimed at students in years 1, 2, 3, and 4 majoring in
that subject.  Pre-100 courses would be remedial or aimed or even limited
to non-major students.  So a Math department might have 023 Business Math
that would not count toward the math units needed to get a BS in math.

tjr