Combining The Best Of Python, Ruby, & Java??????

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 22:41:14 EDT 2006

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Scala seems terse and fast enough, few examples:
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=psyco&lang2=scala
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Static typing, type inference, "sequence comprehensions"...
Looks that there's a new crop of programming languages on top of the
main .NET and JAVA with these characteristics.
This one seems to be following the trend initiated by Nemerle and Boo.
The good thing about these languages is that they offer the performance
of static languages, with the feel of dynamic ones.
Thanks to their local type inference, you don't have to declare types
or return types so often, and with generics, type castings are also
reduced to a minimum.
Anyway, I think that from a python programmer perspective, those
looking for a static language for .NET or Mono would find Boo more
appealing.
For example, I use it for writing extenssions for Ironpython when I
need more performance.