Reddit broke - should have remained on Lisp?

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 21:59:07 EDT 2006

Luis M. González wrote:
> Alok wrote:
>
>>While posting a comment on http://www.reddit.com I got an error page
>>with the following curious statement on it.
>>
>>"reddit broke (sorry)"
>>"looks like we shouldn't have stopped using lisp..."
>>
>>See screenshot at
>>http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1773/1980/1600/reddit-broke.jpg
>>
>>Whether they truly repent not using lisp or otherwise, their site
>>appears to be 3 times slower ...
>>
>>Alok
>

> I don't know if this is true or not, but blaming a language for a poor
> development is a little bit ridiculous...

Well, Reddit said it, not us, and they were probably joking, but it may
well be that the bug would not have happened if they were using Lisp.
Could an infinite number of engineers doing code reviews eventually
found the bug before the end of the universe? The reality is that every
project has finite resources, all the better reason not to stress the
team with the wrong language.

kenny (making Rahul happy by being f'ed by OpenGL bugs)