a good programming text editor (not IDE)

josiah.carlson at gmail.com josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 00:06:50 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> I know there's a request for a good IDE at least once a week on the ng,
> but hopefully this question is a little different. I'm looking for
> suggestions for a good cross-platform text editor (which the features
> for coding, such as syntax highlighting, etc.) but not a full IDE with
> all the fancy jazz (GUI developer, UML diagrams, etc.).
>
> Ideally, it would be something I could even put on a flash drive and
> move from computer to computer, but this isn't necessary. Just something
> I can immediately use in either Windows or Linux (or Mac, if necessary).
[snip]
> Thanks for any suggestions, and again I'm sorry if this feels like the
> same question as usual (it's just that in my case, I'm not looking for
> something like SPE, Komodo, Eric3, etc. right now).

I was taking a peek at c.l.py to check for replies in another thread
and couldn't help notice your asking about editors.  Please pardon the
personal pimping, but have you looked at PyPE (pype.sf.net)?  It
doesn't do everything, isn't geared towards every language, but as far
as I know, it is fairly cross-platform (there seems to be an
outstanding bug on ubuntu 6.06, but I need to get an installation to
check it out), and can offer a fairly no-frills interface for writing
software.  The next release will include support for working from a
removable device (I plan on releasing before the end of the month), but
may not have an ubuntu fix (I may not have time to get one running).

 - Josiah