wx.Yield() during socket timeout

Kiran Kiran.Karra at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 17:00:29 EDT 2006

Hello All,
  I am creating a socket connection in order to read and write to a
location.  My problem is,the gui becomes unresponsive if the socket
times out.
  I know that a good solution is to have the socket read and write with
a thread.  However, I have tried this and have a problem where ONLY on
linux does the program crash, it DOES NOT crash on windows xp.  I have
been trying to figure out why for about a week and have just given up.
  Instead, I am now tryign to use wx.Yield() which will allow the gui
to be updated.  However, during timeouts, the gui still hangs.

  Does anybody have any clever ideas on how I could call the function
wx.Yield() during a timeout so that the GUI stays responsive?  I have
already tried timers, and they dont work.

thanks for your help,
Kiran