Amara installation

Rick Zantow rzantow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 15:18:25 EDT 2006

"tjreedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote in
news:mailman.7202.1150730143.27775.python-list at python.org:

> <mirandacascade at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1150719788.482305.9560 at r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> O/S WinXP Home
>> Vsn of Python: 2.4
>>
>> Wish to install Amara.  Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
>> (2965KB)
>>
>> Forder structure before installation:
>>
>> c:
>>  python24
>>    DLLs
>>    Doc
>>    Include
>>    Lib
>>      site-packages
>>        [previously installed stuff]
>>    libs
>>    scripts
>>    tcl
>>    tools
>>
>> When I run install, the install program indicates:
>>
>> Python directory: c:\python24\
>> Installation directory: c:\python24\lib\site-packages\
>>
>> After install, folder structrue is:
>>
>> Vsn of Python: 2.4
>>
>> Wish to install Amara.  Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
>> (2965KB)
>>
>> Forder structure after installation:
>>
>> c:
>>  python24
>>    DLLs
>>    Doc
>>    Include
>>    Lib
>>      site-packages
>>        [previously installed stuff]
>>    libs
>>    python24                 <<<--
>>      lib                     <<<--
>>        site-packages        <<<--  new amara files/folders appear
>>          amara               <<<--  to be installed here
>>          ft                   <<<--
>>        scripts                <<<--
>>        share                  <<<--
>>    scripts
>>    tcl
>>    tools
>>
>> I was expecting the new amara files/folders to be installed within
>> the existing c:\python24\ folder structure...wasn't expecting it to
>> create a new ...\python24\ folder within the parent ...\python24\
>> folder.
>
> That is probably because you told it to, without knowing what exactly
> was being asked.  It looks like this installer was intended for
> someone who does not already have Python installed.  You might inquire
> as to whether there is one for people who do.
>
>> My questions:
>> 1) has anyone else observed this when installing?
>> 2) should I move the newly installed files/folders into the
>> previously-existing folder structure?  as long as I don't remove
>> files/folders, is there any risk of causing a previously installed
>> site package that worked to no longer work?
>
> I don't think so.
> As long as the installer did not register file locations, this should
> work. If there are any shortcuts or start menu entries, you will have
> to edit.

Actually, the installer is broken; I had the same experience (in a prior
version as well as the current version). The installer screen displays
the install directory path as (in my case)
    	C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\
but it actually creates
    	C:\Python24\Python24\Lib\site-packages\
and dependents, and populates that subtree. I just moved the files to
the appropriate locations and it seems to work, but that first
impression doesn't sit well. I reported this to Uche and even got a
response, but the installer has not been fixed.

--
rzed