style question

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 29 16:30:08 EDT 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:47:21 +0200, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> assuming fixed-pitch fonts isn't very Pythonic, though; to get reliable indentation
> no matter what font you're using, you can write [...]

Since when?  I've always coded, in all languages I've ever used[1], under the
assumption that the reader will view it with a fixed-pitch (or whatever the
proper term is) font. I assumed everyone else did, too. I still assume that,
in fact -- noone has ever come up to me and said "hey, that code you wrote
looks ugly in Comic Sans MS".

(I like well-typeset code in print though. Bjarne Stroustrup uses an elegant
system for C++ code, where identifiers and strings are in Times italic,
operators in Courier, and so on.)

/Jorgen

[1] Too young for punch cards.

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!