what are you using python language for?

Jason tenax.raccoon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:38:11 EDT 2006

I've been working on an RPG character generator for consistent (yet
varied) set of role-playing systems.  Nothing like a pen-and-pencil RPG
to throw in tons of special cases and strange rulesets.

Python's turned out to be very useful for this project:

1. Fast prototyping and testing.  I'm not starting the GUI until after
I get all the quirks of the rule-set down first.  Naturally, I've got a
python script which sets up a subset of the rules, then a series of
unit tests which operate on the partially constructed RPG.

2. Dynamic typing.  The cost object for a Character Gift can vary
dramatically in behavior.  Being able to dynamically re-assign the
current cost object to a different cost type is very nice.  (The cost
types are pretty much similar in data, but their methods act
differently.)

3. Joyous object serialization via the pickle protocol.  While I'm
using the Gnosis XML pickler, there's always the default picklers, too.

While not part of Python, the platform-agnostic ruleset should be a
bonus.  If someone doesn't like my wxPython front-end, then they can go
through the trouble of re-implementing it in their favorite system, be
it .NET and IronPython or Python/TK.