handling unicode data

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Jun 29 05:27:45 EDT 2006

Filipe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've done some searching and settled for pymssql, but it's not too late
> to change yet.
> I've found these options to connect to a MSSqlServer database:
>
> Pymssql
> http://pymssql.sourceforge.net/
>
> ADODB for Python (windows only)
> http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/adodb-py-docs.htm
>
> SQLServer for Python (discontinued?)
> http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/mssql/
>
> mxODBC (commercial license)
> http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxODBC.html
>
> ASPN Recipe
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/144183

You did not mention the odbc module from Mark Hammond's win32
extensions. This is what I use, and it works for me. I believe it is
not 100% DB-API 2.0 compliant, but I have not had any problems.

I have not tried connecting to the database from a Linux box (or from
another Windows box, for that matter). I don't know if there are any
implications there.

Frank Millman