Arrghh... Problems building Python from source on OS X --

Michael J. Fromberger Michael.J.Fromberger at Clothing.Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Jun 28 10:53:54 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.7469.1151364820.27775.python-list at python.org>,
 "J. Jeffrey Close" <jjeffreyclose at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying for some time to build Python 2.4.x
> from source on OS X 10.4.6.  I've found *numerous*
> postings on various mailing lists and web pages
> documenting the apparently well-known problems of
> doing so.  Various problems arise either in the
> ./configure step, with configure arguments that don't
> work, or in the compile, or in my case in the link
> step with libtool.
>
> The configure options I'm using are the following:
> --enable-framework --with-pydebug --with-debug=yes
> --prefix=/usr --with-dyld --program-suffix=.exe
> --enable-universalsdk
>
> I've managed to get past configure and can compile
> everything, but in the link I get the error "Undefined
> symbols:  ___eprintf" .  This appears to have
> something to do with dynamic library loading not
> properly pulling in libgcc.  I've tried with -lgcc in
> the LD options, but that produces a configure error
> "cannot compute sizeof...".
>
> If I remove "--enable-framework" the complete build
> works, but unfortunately that is the one critical
> element that I need.
>
> The web pages I've found referring to this range from
> 2001 to present -- still apparently everybody is
> having problems with this.  Does *anybody* here have
> Python built from source on this OS?

Hi, Jeffrey,

Yes, I use Python 2.4.3 built this way.  I did not have any significant
troubles building Python on my 10.4 system.  My configuration step was a
little different from yours, but basically I just checked out the 2.4.3
source from Subversion, and this is how I configured it:

 env CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include
-I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers" \
 LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
 configure --enable-framework --enable-shared

I included /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib so that the build could
use the version of GNU readline I installed via Darwin ports.  The Tk
headers allow pythonw to build properly.

Having configured, I built and installed via:

  make
  sudo make frameworkinstall

I hope this may be helpful to you.

-M

--
Michael J. Fromberger             | Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sting/  | Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA