Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jun 21 10:32:47 EDT 2006

Pascal Costanza schrieb:
> Static type systems potentially change the semantics of a
> language in ways that cannot be captured by dynamically typed languages
> anymore, and vice versa.

Very true.

I also suspect that's also why adding type inference to a
dynamically-typed language doesn't give you all the benefits of static
typing: the added-on type system is (usually) too weak to express really
interesting guarantees, usually because the language's semantics isn't
tailored towards making the inference steps easy enough.

Conversely, I suspect that adding dynamic typing to statically-typed
languages tends to miss the most interesting applications, mostly
because all the features that can "simply be done" in a
dynamically-typed language have to be retrofitted to the
statically-typed language on a case-by-case basis.

In both cases, the language designers often don't know the facilities of
the opposed camp well enough to really assess the trade-offs they are doing.

> There is, of course, room for research on performing static type checks
> in a running system, for example immediately after or before a software
> update is applied, or maybe even on separate type checking on software
> increments such that guarantees for their composition can be derived.
> However, I am not aware of a lot of work in that area, maybe because the
> static typing community is too focused on compile-time issues.

I think it's mostly because it's intimidating.

The core semantics of an ideal language fits on a single sheet of paper,
to facilitate proofs of language properties. Type checking
dynamically-loaded code probably wouldn't fit on that sheet of paper.
(The non-core semantics is then usually a set of transformation rules
that map the constructs that the programmer sees to constructs of the
core language.)

Regards,
Jo