Problem on win xp and run time error

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Jun 16 15:24:35 EDT 2006

Michele Petrazzo wrote:

> just found in this moment that my applications stop to work with win xp
> and receive this error:
>
> """
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.
> """
>
> (Note that the same application [python source code + py2exe] with
> python 2.3.x work well!)
>
> With a little google search I found that this is a win xp sp2 problem
> *without* apparently solution :(

> I see that the page says:
> """
> This problem may occur when you use the /GR and the /MD compiler switches
> """

hint 1: the use of "may" in that sentence is intentional.

hint 2: python 2.4 wasn't built with Visual C++ 6.0 (but python 2.3 was)

hint 3: on Windows, this message is displayed when the "abort" function
is called (including when an assert fails):

     http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k089yyh0.aspx

the python interpreter will call abort() when it stumbles upon a fatal
error (Py_FatalError), or when an internal assertion fails.  when this
happens, the program will print a "Fatal Python error" message to both
stderr and the debug console before it calls abort.

</F>