Passing data to system command

Chris Hieronymus christoph.hieronymus at geo.uu.se
Mon Jun 19 07:56:20 EDT 2006

Hi,

Holy mackerel, this really works; thanks a lot, guys.  I played
around a little bit with the
suggestions by faulkner and hdante and pieced together the following
script.  I like this
very much because I can write a bunch of data to the pipe, rather
than making one big
string containing perhaps several thousand lines of x-y pairs.  I've
tested the script for
up to 100,000 data pairs and it works; passing a single string with
that many lines to
the psxy command generally leads to problems (?), I'm told...

For any other newbie's out there that are trying to use python and
GMT together:
The script uses GMT's psxy command (with the required arguments),
generates some
x-y data (just a sine function), and writes each x-y pair as a string
to the pipe.  This should
work equally for any other GMT-commands.

I'm still trying to work out some of the details myself; I don't
understand, yet, what exactly
the command "communicate" does; but it seems to be needed.

chris

#! /usr/bin/python

from subprocess import Popen, PIPE
from math import *
from os import system

psfile = 'output1.ps'
cmd = 'psxy -R0/100/0/10 -JX10 -B10/1'

my_output = file(psfile, 'w')
p1 = Popen(cmd,stdin = PIPE,stdout=my_output,shell=True)
for i in range(10000):
   x = float(i)/100.0
   y = 4.*sin(x/10.)+5.0
   msg = str(x)+"  "+str(y)+"\n"