check for dictionary keys

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Tue Jun 6 07:27:53 EDT 2006

On 6/06/2006 8:38 PM, bruno at modulix wrote:
> John Machin wrote:

>>> Looks like an option parser... If so, there's all you need in the
>>> standard lib (look for the optparse module).

>>> First : use boolean logic (truth table, Kernaugh diagram, etc) to
>>> simplify things. As an example, rule #3 is useless - it's a subset of
>>> rule #1 (-A and -B and -D implies -A and -B). This should greatly
>>> reduce the number of needed tests.
>>
>> Good idea, but doesn't scale well.
>
> Does it need to scale ? If there are lot of rules and frequently
> changing, yes, automating the process will be a good idea - but if it's
> about a program options, just using one's brain might be enough. At
> least it forces one to think about what's going on...
>
>> Simple code can weed out redundant
>> rules,
>
> Simple code can weed out redundant *simple* rules !-)
>
> (snip)
>
>>> Then, write a simple rule system describing either valid inputs or
>>> invalid inputs (preferably the smallest set !-). FWIW, it can be as
>>> simple as a list of lambdas/error messages pairs, with lambdas being
>>> predicate taking dict keys as params:
>>>

>>> _RULES = [
>>>   (lambda keys : '-A' in keys and '-B' in keys,
>>>    "can't have both options -A and -B"),
>>>   (lambda keys : '-A' in keys and '-C' in keys,
>>>    "can't have both options -A and -C"),
>>>   # etc...
>>> ]
>>>
>> The evil HR director won't let the PHB pay me on a per LOC basis, so
>> I've had to come up with a compact table-driven approach :-)
>
> <ot>I'm my own evil HR director and PHB  !-)</ot>

<ot> You must have some interesting conversations with yourself !-) </ot>

> Don't like table-driven programming, John ?

I love table-driven programming. You seem to misunderstand; In this case
the "bad combos" list *is* the table.

> This solution takes very few lines, and while it's surely not a
> full-blown rule engine, it's at least reasonably flexible.
>
> (Not to say it's better than yours - it's of course a matter of
> effective use case).

[snip]

> Nice code - but how does it handle more complex predicates ? Seems you
> can only deal with 'and' rules here.

More complex predicates are not in the OP's spec ... this is a defence I
learned from somebody in this newsgroup recently :-)

> <nitpick>"Doesn't scale well", you
> said ?-)</nitpick>

I understand 'scale' to relate to size, not to complexity.

Cheers,
John