Reddit broke - should have remained on Lisp?

Tayssir John Gabbour tayss_temp2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 06:11:41 EDT 2006

Alok wrote:
> "reddit broke (sorry)"
> "looks like we shouldn't have stopped using lisp..."
>
> See screenshot at
> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1773/1980/1600/reddit-broke.jpg
>
> Whether they truly repent not using lisp or otherwise, their site
> appears to be 3 times slower ...

Hi Alok,

Supposedly, the Reddit team had a bit of remorse (though of course, we
should take the following writeup with a grain of salt; maybe there are
more in-depth sources online):
"If we could do it all over again, we'd still be using Lisp. Probably."
"Reddit: Stick with Lisp. If you want it done right, do it yourself-
hosting- Avoid A+.net"
http://notelab.infogami.com/startupschool2006

The Reddit owners offered to write up their Lisp experiences. Did they?
If not, then of course we have no real ability to verify their claims.
(Particularly given that companies are far too secretive to let us
actually go there and evaulate their claims for ourselves.) The problem
was illustrated by Dvorak's admission that he skillfully antagonized
the Apple world to drive traffic; I don't know how much Reddit was
helped by this little soap opera, if at all, but these are problems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWDYaWAVQQ

Tayssir