a good programming text editor (not IDE)

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Thu Jun 15 15:43:54 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> I know there's a request for a good IDE at least once a week on the ng,
> but hopefully this question is a little different. I'm looking for
> suggestions for a good cross-platform text editor (which the features
> for coding, such as syntax highlighting, etc.) but not a full IDE with
> all the fancy jazz (GUI developer, UML diagrams, etc.).
>
> Ideally, it would be something I could even put on a flash drive and
> move from computer to computer, but this isn't necessary. Just something
> I can immediately use in either Windows or Linux (or Mac, if necessary).

<SNIP>

Hi John,
I am yet another user of (g)vim. The good thing about gvim is that for
normal editing, a lot can be done from the drop-down menus. You need to
get hold of a list of the vim commands to learn and what to learn first
(anyone?), as there is a huge amount of functionality in vim, and you
can do a lot with a little.

Personally, I have never done more than poke at the edges of the
internal scripting of vim as I prefer:
 :%!gawk 'awk one liner'
Which sends text to the external shell for processing by another
command (in this case gawk)
Gvim on windows is a life-saver for me as I have files with different
line terminators from my unix work, and it opens those.

The only thing I miss in gvim is a mode that would try to display HTML
to say the degree that the lynx/links browsers do.
(http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/,
http://lynx.browser.org/).