How do you use this list ?

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Tue Jun 27 08:17:03 EDT 2006

Bo Yang wrote:
> Hi everyone ,
> I have join this list for about 4 months , and everyday I receive
> hundreds of
> mails . There is no means to read all of them , so I just read something
> interesting
> for me . But if so , there are too much mails pile up in my inbox , I
> want to ask
> how do you use this list , reading every mail come in or just read what
> you think
> interesting ?
>
> Thank you !
>

> Best Regard !

I am using a newsreader capable of showing posting in their threads in a
hierarchical view.
I read entire messages only if I mean the topic is of interest to me, if
I have spotted something interesting in the first lines of a posting or
if I mean, that I can immediately help writing a reply without much
efforts on my side what is the case when the answer pops up in my mind
already as I see the question.
It was the topic "How do you use this list?" what attracted my attention
so I looked into the content of your posting and decided to reply.
My advice: download e.g. Thunderbird and use it as a newsreader instead
of getting through not by thread and date structured piles of emails.
I actually go through each single posting spending at least a second on
each (sometimes a bit faster, sometimes much slower).
This gives an effort of about 10 minutes of very concentrated work
towards selection of interesting postings for detailed reading on a day
with a huge traffic of around 600 new postings.
Over years of reading I improved much the speed of perception at first
glance if a posting or a thread is in my eyes worth to read it in
detail. As I also in between know who writes here the best quality
replies I usually read carefully all the details in postings of such
authors skipping from reading another postings in same thread.

Hope this helps.

Claudio