Opening a file with system default application

tactics40 at gmail.com tactics40 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 11:47:42 EDT 2006

I'm writing a GUI application in Jython which takes a database text
file and performs some operations on the data, finally spitting out a
group of CSV files.

I generate a log file and several CSV files and I thought it would be
helpful if I could add a button the user could click on to
automatically launch the log file or the CSV output files using the
default text editor / spreadsheet editor on their system.

Does Python (or Java, since I'm using jython) have a clean cut way to
do this?