Max function question: How do I return the index of the maximum value of a list?

jj_frap jj_frap at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 18:15:20 EDT 2006

I'm new to programming in Python and am currently writing a three-card
poker simulator. I have completed the entire simulator other than
determining who has the best hand (which will be far more difficult
than the aspects I've codes thus far)...I store each player's hand in a
list of hand objects and I determine hand strength via a handstrength
list with one element for each player.

When I try to print the "winner" (I've not coded for kicker strength
and ties yet) via the max function, it returns the maximum value in the
list rather than the index associated with that value.

How do I return the index?