HOST - dreamhost.com / Liberality (Hosting, Basic Requirement)

Ilias Lazaridis ilias at lazaridis.com
Sun Jun 4 08:11:06 EDT 2006

crossposted to 5 groups, which are affected by this case.

followup not applicable.

-

I am currently selecting a Hosting Provider / Project Host...

http://case.lazaridis.com/multi/wiki/Host

For this larger scale project...

http://case.lazaridis.com/multi

-

An incident within usenet has reminded me to include a very Basic
Requirement, which is "Terms of Service / Liberality".

-

The incident:

http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/harassment.html

It _seems_ that Mr. Xah Les's account was terminated by dreamhost.com
because of

a) the inability of several people to detect the interconnections within
writings which lead to perfectly valid cross-posts within the usenet.

b) the non-liberal and essentially non-professional way of how
dreamhost.com deals with abuse complaints.

-

The accusations of "dreamhost.com" are simply wrong.

The behaviour of dreamhost.com looks like a case of "selective ruling",
whilst using a right defined within the "Terms of Service" to terminate
accounts essentially at free will.

Can someone trust his business or even his private activities to a
hosting company, which cancels accounts in such a way?

I do not:

http://case.lazaridis.com/multi/wiki/DreamhostAudit

But possibly I am wrong, and all this is just a missunderstanding.

-

To dreamhost.com:

You should install an autoresponder to your abuse email, which reminds
people that it is

* nearly inpossible to rate the content posted to usenet
* neally inpossible to detect validity of cross-posts
   especially within complex analytical/philosophical writings
* other important facts

People can then decide if they still wish to send the abuse complain
(e.g. can follow a link within the autoresponder).

You should additionally make a clear statement, that you do _not_ have
the right to cancel acounts _without_ any reason, and that you do _not_
intervene into a persons right to speek within the usenet, without a
clear and undoubtable proof of abuse (e.g. court decision, or at least
verfication of independend entities or mediators).

Additionally, it would be gentle if your company would make a _public_
statement subjecting this case, thus any interested party can verify the
validity of the statements.

-

To Mr. Xah Lee:

You should change to a more liberal services provider, one which
plays in the "Major League" and which respects free speech. Such a
provider would just reject such ridiculous abuse complaints.

If, for any reason, you are not able to switch to another hosting
provider, please let me know.

I will see what I can do for you to keep your free speech up.

Additionally, I would like to suggest you to not invest too much time
into all this. Better use this time to find people and to react in an
organized manner.

-

To the complaining people:

To which 'species' do you belong?

http://lazaridis.com/core/eval/species.html

Setting up an thread filter:

http://lazaridis.com/core/eval/filter.html

I have seldom seen a more ridiculous argumentation-line than then
"spam/abuse" one.

-

To anyone:

Any form of censorship and "suppression of freedom of expression" should
be kept out of from open-source projects and from usenet.

It is the within the responsibility of every entity (including
commercial companies) to act against it.

http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/wiki/LiberalProjectDefinition

-
-
-