Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jun 21 07:10:55 EDT 2006

Matthias Blume schrieb:
> Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> writes:
>
>> Matthias Blume schrieb:
>>> Perhaps better: A language is statically typed if its definition
>>> includes (or ever better: is based on) a static type system, i.e., a
>>> static semantics with typing judgments derivable by typing rules.
>>> Usually typing judgmets associate program phrases ("expressions") with
>>> types given a typing environment.
>> This is defining a single term ("statically typed") using three
>> undefined terms ("typing judgements", "typing rules", "typing
>> environment").
>
> This was not meant to be a rigorous definition.

Rigorous or not, introducing additional undefined terms doesn't help
with explaining a term.

> Also, I'm not going to repeat the textbook definitions for those
> three standard terms here.

These terms certainly aren't standard for Perl, Python, Java, or Lisp,
and they aren't even standard for topics covered on comp.lang.functional
(which includes dynamically-typed languages after all).

Regards,
Jo