a good programming text editor (not IDE)

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Fri Jun 16 08:59:48 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
(snip)
> Based on another thread, I tried out Scite, but no matter what I do it
> doesn't seem to remember the window size and position, or any options I
> choose (like showing line numbers).

This is in the configuration files. Don't remember which and where, but
I clearly remember having done this.

> And naturally there are Emacs and Vim, but I just don't know if I need
> to invest *that* much time into learning one of them

If you have a lot of file editing to do in a lot of various formats,
then investing time on learning how to effectively use a powerful and
extensible test editor is the WiseThingTodo(tm).

> (probably Vim,
> since I hear it's lighter and faster).

It's a bit faster at startup, yes. Else, I'm not sure it makes a real
difference wrt/ performances and power. It's more a matter of personal
preference than anything else IMHO.

--
bruno desthuilliers