is it possible to find which process dumped core

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 5 10:04:58 EDT 2006

su wrote:
> to find which process dumped core at the promt we give
>
> $ file core.28424
>
> core.28424: ELF 32-bit LSB core file of 'soffice.bin' (signal 11),
> Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), from 'soffice.bin'
>
> from this command we know 'soffice.bin' process dumped core. Now can i
> do the same using python i.e. finding which process dumped core?  if so
> how can i do it?

Unfortunately, without some debugging, all you are likely to find is
that /usr/bin/python (or some other interpreter executable) dumped core.

You'd have to poke around inside the core image to find out which file
was being executed when the interpreter failed.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com