direct initialization of class attributes vs. declarations w/in __init__

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 12 03:00:13 EDT 2006

digitalorganics at gmail.com wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>>digitalorganics at gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>Output from laptop comp.:
>>>
>>>1
>>>10
>>>2
>>>10
>>>3
>>>10
>>
>>so how are you entering and running the code on your laptop ?
>>
>>what happens if you set the class attribute to 100 instead of 10 ?
>>
>></F>
>

> You can see my other post which I just sent but, I was using PythonWin:
>
> 1. type code in editor
> 2. hit run
> 3. observe output in interactive window

Frankly I'd be less incredulous if you'd said you transferred the code
between machines using some network- or file-based transfer mechanism.
The facts are that if you have been entering "the same" code separately
on two machines then by far the most likely source of any discrepancy is
typographical error (a subject with which regular readers will know I am
intimately familiar).

The Python behaviour you now understand (access to class variables in
the absence of an eponymous instance variable) is long-standing, and it
is therefore unlikely that two correct Python installations will give
different results for the same code. Ergo, the two pieces of code are
different.

Unless, that is, you can tell us different beyond all possibility of
transcription errors.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com