Ketil Malde ketil+news at ii.uib.no
Mon Jun 26 04:00:28 EDT 2006

"Rob Thorpe" <robert.thorpe at antenova.com> writes:

>> I think statements like this are confusing, because there are
>> different interpretations of what a "value" is.

> But I mean the value as the semantics of the program itself sees it.
> Which mostly means the datum in memory.

I don't agree with that.  Generally, a language specifies a virtual
machine and doesn't need to concern itself with things like "memory"
at all.  Although langauges like C tries to, look at all the undefined
behavior you get when you make assumptions about memory layout etc.

Memory representation is just an artifact of a particular
implementation of the language for a particular architecture.

-k