Absolute noob to Linux programming needs language choice help

Mirco Wahab wahab at chemie.uni-halle.de
Thu Jun 22 13:48:57 EDT 2006

Thus spoke stylecomputers at gmail.com (on 2006-06-21 03:51):

> I want to learn a language that I can use in my networking duties that
> is most likely to be of use to me. I have a few choices I can think of
> being:
>
> Python
> Perl

C is not really a choice in the perimeter
of Perl and Python.

Perl was created to do "networking duties" in
the Unix environment and had a phenomenal impact,
was (then) also a long time the number #1 scripting
language for web apps ('CGI' was almost synonymously
used w/Perl).

Then came Python, which was (iirc) also intended for
solving problems around "networking duties" by the GvR,
who didn't like the appearance of Perl-Programs (couldn't
stand sigils and braces, I guess;-).

So it's today just a matter of
1) personal taste, what do think is fancier for you,
2) choice of the community you want to be in.

BTW. I don't really think its a "choice"
at all, I'd use each language where it
applies best.

> Any other Langs out there that would be better suited?

Never ever ;-)

Regards

Mirco