newbie: python application on a web page

Max rabkinDELETE at mweb.co.za
Tue Jun 6 16:35:36 EDT 2006

puzz wrote:
> sorry about the missunderstanding...
>
> but my question is "how" and not "where" to put it online
> and that's where the "newbie" comes from
>
> P M

If you just want to make it available for download, that's easy. If you
want to make it open source, you could upload it to
planet-source-code.com (I used to put a lot there; don't know if they
have a python section) or SourceForge depending on your "market".

But what I think you want is a web interface (where a user goes to your
site and uses it in the browser window). This is more tricky, but you're
almost certainly going to have to abandon Tkinter. You could try doing
an applet in Jython (which compiles Python to Java bytecode so you could
in theory do a Java-style applet).

The alternative is to have the curve drawn server-side, so you would
have an HTML form on the page, and on clicking a button, load the graph
(into an "iframe" or something perhaps [I have a feeling iframes have
been deprecated - check first]). In which case you'd want to look up
CGI, AJAX, etc.

--Max