Absolute noob to Linux programming needs language choice help

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Tue Jun 20 22:09:10 EDT 2006

stylecomputers at gmail.com wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I am absolutely new to Linux programming, with no w######s programming
> experience except a small amount of C++ console apps.
> Reasonably new to Linux, BSD etc, got good sound networking base of
> knowledge and dont have any problem working the command line etc.
>
> I want to learn a language that I can use in my networking duties that
> is most likely to be of use to me. I have a few choices I can think of
> being:
>
> Python
> Perl
>
> Any other Langs out there that would be better suited?
>
> I want to be able to use the app's I write in OpenBSD and RH versions
> of Linux
>
> What would you reccomend (Unbiased opinion please, I'm after the
> functionality I'll love it later :) )
>
> Cheers
>
> Ty

Yes python will be good for this. I'm not so sure C is better suited.
Definitely resist "shell scripting". Several chapters in Mark Lutz's
_Programming Python_ will help with networking (after you have read
through _Learning Python_ or equivalent). NewRiders publishes _Python
Web Programming_ authored by Steve Holden, who visits this list on occasion.

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570