Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Fri Jun 23 16:13:07 EDT 2006

Dr.Ruud <rvtol+news at isolution.nl> wrote:
> Chris Smith schreef:
>
> > Static types are not fuzzy
>
> Static types can be fuzzy as well. For example: a language can define
> that extra accuracy and bits may be used for the implementation of
> calculations: d = a * b / c
> Often some minimum is guaranteed.

Who cares how many bits are declared by the type?  Some specific
implementation may tie that kind of representation information to the
type for convenience, but the type itself is not affected by how many
bits are used by the representation.  The only thing affected by the
representation is the evaluation semantics and the performance of the
language, both of which only come into play after it's been shown that
the program is well-typed.

> The 'dynamic type' is just another type.

That's essentially equivalent to giving up.  I doubt many people would
be happy with the conclusion that dynamically typed languages are typed,
but have only one type which is appropriate for all possible operations.
That type system would not be implemented, since it's trivial and
behaves identically to the lack of a type system, and then we're back
where we started.

--
Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation