Allowing zero-dimensional subscripts

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 19:53:07 EDT 2006

spam.noam at gmail.com wrote:

> George Sakkis wrote:
> > spam.noam at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > However, I'm designing another library for
> > > managing multi-dimensional arrays of data. Its purpose is similiar to
> > > that of a spreadsheet - analyze data and preserve the relations between
> > > a source of a calculation and its destination.
> >
> > Sounds interesting. Will it be related at all to OLAP or the
> > Multi-Dimensional eXpressions language
> > (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms145506.aspx) ?
> >
> Thanks for the reference! I didn't know about any of these. It will
> probably be interesting to learn from them. From a brief look at OLAP
> in wikipedia, it may have similarities to OLAP. I don't think it will
> be related to Microsoft's language, because the language will simply by
> Python, hopefully making it very easy to do whatever you like with the
> data.

Glad it helped, I thought you were already familiar withe these. As for
MDX, I didn't mean you should use it instead of python or implement it
at the syntax level, but whether you consider an API with similar
concepts. Given your description below, I think you should by all means
take a look at MDX focusing on the concepts (datacubes, dimensions,
hierarchies, levels, measures, etc.) and the functions, not its syntax.
Here's a decent manual I found online
http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/91pdf/sasdoc_91/olap_mdx_7002.pdf.

Regards,
George