Parsing Digits in Strings, using RE

William Cellich William.Cellich at lydiandata.com
Mon Jun 26 16:01:30 EDT 2006

Hello, all. I am using a regular expression

XXX_re = re.compile( ' \ d { 12 } ' )          # spaces added for
clarity

that returns the value below from a string similar to this one:

XX(00000000)

XXXXXXXXX[("XXX_XXX=123456789000","XXXXXX_XXX=1","Xxxxxxx=ABCDE01","Xxxx
xxxxxxxx=ABCDEF","XxxxXxxxx=987654321000")]

123456789000

987654321000

I only want "ONE" occurrence, the first one in the RE. The string pieces
are 12 digits.

I have tried prefacing the pattern with the ' XXX_XXX = ' string
segment, then I get

XXX_XXX = 123456789000

When I use non-greedy ? or ., I get errors such as unscriptable, or
other.

Any suggestions???

I am able to do this as two separate progs, but have been unsuccessful
at getting it all together as a one-pass code.

Thanks!

William