Just out of curiosity: Which languages are they using at Google and what for?

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Mon Jun 19 11:18:13 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote:
>     * Packaging.  Google has an internal packaging format like RPM.
> These packages are created using python.
>     * Binary Data Pusher.  This is the area where Alex Martelli is
> working, on optimizing pushing bits between thousands of servers
>     * Production servers.  All monitoring, restarting and data
> collection functionality is done with python

Yep, Greg did say that at SDForum, but in fact I'm working on a much
wider range of problems than just the datapush -- I lead Production
Systems, which includes parts of all of the above and yet more stuff
(account management, network verification, etc etc) -- done mostly in
Python, but with substantial helpers in C++ as well (not so much for CPU
efficiency reasons, as for keeping memory use under strict control when
necessary, the area where C/C++ really shines;-).

Alex