maximum integer length?

nate nate at natefico.com
Sun Jun 18 07:28:33 EDT 2006

Hey everyone,

I am trying to figure out what is the largest integer I can. Lets say
for 400 megabytes of memory at my disposal.

I have tried a few things
c = 2**1000000
d = 2**2000000
print c**d

Obviously I didn't have enough memory for that, but I was able to c**3.
(I think anyways, it is still trying to display the result)

So I am just wondering how long an integer can be with 400 megabytes of
memory.

I guess this is a question of logic?
each integer takes up a byte right? If I have 400 megabytes that would
mean I could have a long integer with up to 419,430,400,000 integers?

Really I am not sure on this one and that is why I am asking. Because it
is just bugging me I am not sure how it works...

I know this probably seems trivial and just a stupid question, but I
find this type of stuff interesting...