Are there something like "Effective Python"?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jun 2 13:11:42 EDT 2006

In article <1149224468.481470.74580 at i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Mike Meng <meng.yan at gmail.com> wrote:

>     I just finished reading Learning Python 3rd ed, and am doing my
>first Python application, which   retrieves and process text and XML
>documents from Web. Python helped me to write the application in a few
>hours, I'm very happy with its productivity. But the performance is not
>satisfactory. I decide to optimized it in Python before trying C/C++
>extensions. But I don't know Python much and have no clu to tune my
>program. Also, I don't know what Pythonist's preferred styles. Are
>there any books/documents which play the similar role for Python as
>'Effective C++' does for C++?

<red face>  That's my fault.  I'm technically still under contract to
write _Effective Python_, but it has proven much more difficult to write
than I expected.  (Not in the sense of difficulty finding material, but
in sitting down and *writing*.)  I actually brought in David Goodger as
co-author and we still haven't been able to make progress.  :-(

Right now, I'm finishing up _Python for Dummies_ (which is mostly being
written by Stef -- I provide the technical expertise and editing), and
after a suitable resting time, we'll see if we can get back on track
with _Effective Python_

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes