Problem with sets and Unicode strings

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:00:55 EDT 2006

Dennis Benzinger wrote:
> Ok, I understand.
> But isn't it a (minor) problem that using a set like this:
>
> # -*- coding: UTF-8 -*-
>
> FIELDS_SET = set(("Fächer", ))
>
> print u"Fächer" in FIELDS_SET
> print u"Fächer" == "Fächer"
>
> shadows the error of not setting sys.defaultencoding()?

You can't set the default encoding. If you could, then scripts that run on your
machine wouldn't run on mine.

If there's an error, it's the fact that you use a regular string at the
beginning ("Fächer") and a unicode string later (u"Fächer"). But set objects
can't know that that's the problem or even if it *is* a problem.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco